Monday 8 December 2014

Design Adaptation To Enviornment

Similar to a post I did earlier where I talked about how objectives influences the design of the project, in this post i'll be writing about the impact the environment has on the design of the project. In the requirements gathering stage of development I learnt about the space the project will be located in as well as the behaviors of people interacting and passing through  the space. From that research I conducted I concluded that the coffee area was of most interest to the people in the space so it will be wise of me seek a screen in that area or at least in view from the Costa area. However during peak times such as lunch times this area does get quite busy meaning that people may not have enough space to interact with my interactive display or might prefer not to perform in front of large volumes of people.

With this in mind i'm going to aim to make my interactive display consume as less space as possible as this would likely mitigate glitches which may occur due to large volumes of  people walking in front or behind the user as my design is supposed to be operated by one user but also be spectated by people out of view of the camera.

The lighting in the space is also quite dark meaning that I will likely need to provide additional lighting for my display to enable the camera to track the traceable objects which would be rather small. When testing the "Trackmate" tags I noticed the camera did have trouble detecting the tags when I was either too close or too far away from the camera as it looks like the Lucid library only expects to detect the tags when they are a fixed  size. As a result I will likely need to highlight an area on the ground for people to stand on to ensure users stay the correct distance from the camera which will mitigate some errors.   


No comments:

Post a Comment