Tuesday 28 January 2014

My DAZ3D Renders And Thoughts On How It May Develop.

For the past few weeks I have been testing out a piece of software called "DAZ3D" which enables the user render 3D scenes. DAZ3D enables you to import pre-made 3D models such as characters and scenes as well as 3D environments. The software also enables you to import any 3D model you may of created with other software such as 3DSMAX.

 Here are some renders I have created:





For this render I was able to use another piece of software to map the face of the actress which I could then import into DAZ3D. This mapping process required me to find an image of the actress facing forward and then facing side ways this way the software was able to get a relatively good map of the face and the shape of the head. 

Once the head was correctly mapped I could then use the same software to change the models facial expressions. Which is basically a process done during the development of games as seen in the image below; however the process is much more complex than the method I learnt.

This kind of  gets me thinking that maybe one day this would be the mainstream use of actors and possibly 22nd century cinema may just consist of 3D generated characters as the development process would likely take less and less time as technology develops.



During the design process while using  the software I have learnt the importance of basic camera techniques and the importance of space and lighting while filming/ rendering. In 3D modeling, lighting can mean the difference between a really good  render and a poor render as I've found you can achieve the most detail on your models with the correct use of lighting. 

I've also discovered the importance of camera shots as poor choice of shot can result in your background not being complemented, that is why I used a wide shot on the dragon render. However using wide/long range shots can result in a lose of emphasis on a character as-well as loss in detail on characters that I why I used a portrait shot on the character close ups.



No comments:

Post a Comment